Cracked Ice or binglei 冰裂 is a uniquely Chinese decorative pattern used in traditional window lattice work. It is highly appreciated in garden architecture as a pleasing room divider or a way to separate one area of a garden from another. Windows were employed to open up one area of a space onto another, and windows could only be “seen through” if there was a suitable view on the other side. Borrowing views like this was a way of framing a piece of nature, thus creating a painting or work of art in itself. The cracked ice pattern was particularly popular in southern China around the classical garden city of Suzhou and was rejuvenated in modern times as an inspiration for the Bird’s Nest Olympic Stadium in Beijing.
As created by artist Ingrid Booz Morejohn, our Cracked Ice design comes in three colors: green, red, and greyish-blue. They interweave the fine lines of the mosaic, making it a modern puzzle masterpiece.
Lead Time2-4 weeks
- Suitable for indoor vertical and horizontal applications.
- Suitable for all residential and commercial surface application.
- Use subject to the method of installation - proper adhesive is especially recommended for wet area.
- Use spacers for more consistent grout spacing.
- Not recommended for flooring.